- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Introducing Coiling & Weaving Wire Jewelry DVDs
- Intermediate DVD Series Release! – Jewelry Making Instructions
- Daily Wire Tip March 19: Lessons for Beginners
- Daily Wire Tip Feb. 16: Tutorial Videos
Daily Wire Tip: Fight Tarnish with Chalk?
Daily Wire Jewelry Making Tip
I have heard that placing silver jewelry in a plastic bag with a piece of chalk will keep it from tarnishing. Have you had the same experience?
-Doris in Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Adding a small piece of chalk to a sealed bag with a sterling silver jewelry piece inside does work to prevent tarnish. The chalk will attract any moisture as well as most chemical residues that cause tarnish to occur.
If you prefer not to worry about the chalk touching the jewelry, wrap it in a small piece of cheesecloth. This will work for jewelry as well as for flatware, tea sets, etc.
Answer contributed by Dale “Cougar” Armstrong
Have a question? Submit your question here