- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Daily Wire Tip Oct. 4: 28-Gauge Wire Project Ideas
- Introducing Coiling & Weaving Wire Jewelry DVDs
- Daily Wire Tip Feb. 5: Setting Large Gems in Prong Pendants
- Daily Wire Tip Sept. 7: Variations on Woven Beaded Bracelet
Daily Wire Tip: Sterling Silver and Fresh Water Pearls
Daily Wire Jewelry Making Tip
I want to use some fresh water pearls with sterling silver. Will the aging of the silver damage the pearls?
No, silver tarnish will not harm fresh water pearls. Time will eventually cause the sterling silver to tarnish and the way it is cleaned needs to be a careful procedure to avoid damage to the pearls. Several gentle methods will work; use an ionic cleaner such as the Speed Brite, use a baking soda/aluminum foil/hot water bath, or a silver polishing cloth. Do not use toothpaste as it has abrasives that can leave fine scratches on the silver and destroy the nacre on the pearls. Or upgrade the sterling to Argentium to enjoy longer periods of time between cleanings.
Answer contributed by Dale `Cougar` Armstrong
Have a question? Submit your question here!