wire and crystal snowflake
Designed by Valarie Lewis
- 4mm AB swarovski crystals, 12
- 6mm AB swarovski crystals 1
- 18G half hard round wire 20 inches
- 24G half hard round wire approx 1.5 yards
- Flat Nose Pliers
- Easy clamp or Bench vise
- Chain nose pliers
- Cut 6 pieces of 18 g wire, 2.5 inches long, mark the middle (1.25 inches) and bend into a “V” using square nose pliers. Try to get as close to a 30 degree angle as possible, and once you have done the first one, use it as a pattern for all the rest so they have a uniform bend.
- Clamp 2 “v” shapes together from the bottom of the V's, with about 1mm between them, and one side of each parallel. Cut a piece of 24g wire(about 8 inches) and wrap it figure 8 style between the larger wires. Wrap until there is about .75 inches of large wires showing. Finish off small wire with a double wrap and cut off end. Spiral the 18g wire towards the inside of the v on each side (only the ones that are wrapped) and leave just enough wire to wrap one more time.
- Remove clamp and clamp the next V shape to one of the sides you haven't already wrapped. Repeat wrapping as in step 2. Repeat until you have a hexagon shape.
- Wrap the last two wires to complete the shape. Adjust any joints before completing, if necessary.
- Cut another piece of 24 g wire (about 10 inches) and turn the end with chain nose pliers to make a tiny sort of hook. Hook it into the top of one of the woven spokes and tuck it in and tighten as close as possible to one of the coiled spirals. Add two 4mm Swarovskis, and wrap the wire around the base of the next spiral. Weave in between and add two more swarovskis, and repeat all the way around the outside.
- Using a piece of scrap wire, secure the 6 mm swarovski in the center of the snowflake.
- Using a small piece of 24 g, wrap around the top of the top spirals (get both of them or it will sit crooked) and take the wire up into a wrapped loop to make a bale.